Our Estimate on an average estate (see below) is a total cost of £3,477 including VAT and disbursements as indicated below.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one Beneficiary and no property, costs may be lower. If there are multiple Beneficiaries, a property and multiple Bank Accounts, costs will be higher.
This estimate is for where:
- There is a valid Will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 1 Bank or Building Society Accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are 1-2 Beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between Beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no Inheritance Tax payable and the Executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no Claims made against the Estate
- Disbursements included in this fee
- Probate Application fee of £273
- Bankruptcy- only Land Charges Department Searches (£2 per Beneficiary)
- £200 estimate S27 post in the London Gazette and local paper – Protects against unexpected Claims from unknown Creditors. Optional, Executors choice.
Disbursement are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as Court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
We will handle the full process for you as follows:-
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced Probate Solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed Executors or Administrators and Beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate Application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents from you which are required to make the Application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft the statement to accompany the Probate Application
- Make the Application to the probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and send a copy to the Executors
- Close and distribute the bank or building society account
Potential additional costs :
- If there is no Will or the Estate consists of any Share Holdings (Stocks and Bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the Estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If any additional copies of the Grant are required, they will cost £1.50 (1 per asset usually)
- Dealing with the Sale or Transfer of any property in the Estate is not included
How long with this take? :
On average, Estates that fall within this estimate are dealt with within 5-9 months. Typically, obtaining the Grant of Probate takes 8– 10 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 4 – 6 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally take 3 – 4 weeks.